Saturday, March 31, 2012

I Scream, You Scream

I don't know about you guys, but I am an ice cream lover and an avid eater of ice creams. I prefer it in a cone, on a stick, as a sandwich, or even taco form; just as long as I don't have to worry about washing a bowl or cup later. So when you wrap the icy treat with something sticky and sweet, hey, I am all over it.

{ my little mochi }
If you haven't already heard about or tried mochi ice cream, it's a Japanese dessert where  a ball of ice cream is wrapped with a chewy layer made of sweet, glutinous rice flour. The Mikawaya brand is perhaps the most common in the US and is usually carried at Asian grocery stores and specialty food stores (like Trader Joe's). I love that they're the perfect size for a light dessert, but I honestly think they should put more than just 6 measly pieces in one box. I also think they should sell variety packs, but whatever. It was late. I had a craving. I had the ingredients. Can you really blame me? I mean, look at them...

{ EAT US! EAT US! EAT US! }
Can't you hear each one of them calling out to you? Saying "Please eat me. I need a warm stomach to call home." How do you turn that little guy down? You don't. And that is why you should make them to satisfy your insatiable cravings. Just think about it, this recipe yields about 30 pieces. THIRTY. FREAKIN'. PIECES. IN YOUR FREEZER. AT ANY GIVEN TIME. Need I say more? 

{ mmm... strawberry }
Mochi Ice Cream
(makes about 20-30 pieces) 
Ingredients 
Pint of ice cream (any flavor you want, go crazy)
2 cups glutinous rice flour
2 cups hot water
2 cups sugar
Corn starch
Food coloring (optional)

Flavor extract (optional)
Instructions
  1. First, you want to take your ice cream and shape them into uniform pieces. Lay them on a sheet and freeze them until they harden completely.
  2. To make the mochi, stir the water and sugar in a microwavable bowl. Add the rice flour and mix well. There should be no lumps.
  3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave on high for about 3 minutes. Stir the dough in the bowl a couple of times and place the plastic wrap back on the bowl.
  4. Heat in microwave for another 3 minutes. Stir it to make sure the consistency is the same all throughout. (WARNING: IT WILL BE HOT!)
  5. Cover a large surface (like a cutting board or countertop) with plastic wrap and generously sprinkle with corn starch. 
  6. Place the dough onto the dusted surface and dust more starch on top of the dough. You might also wanna dust your rolling pin.
  7. Roll out the dough to desired thickness. I like mine pretty thin (maybe 1/4").
  8. Using a circle cookie cutter (or even the rim of a bowl or glass), dust the edge with starch and begin cutting your circles out. Let them cool.
  9. Remove ice cream from freezer and quickly wrap each one. Place back in freezer or consume immediately. You call the shots, here.

Tips: When shaping the ice cream, I used a melon baller, but I've seen some people use a silicone mini cupcake mold. If you decide to flavor or color your dough, do it prior to heating in the microwave. This recipe yields 20-30 pcs because it all depends on how big you want your pieces and how thick you like your mochi. I like mine to be about 2 bites, so mine were pretty small, but if you go bigger, you'll probably get about 20. Also, I went for the cuteness factor by stuffing my mochi into tea cake molds. If you want yours to take on a particular shape, it's easier sprinkle to the insides with starch, lay the mochi deep in the mold first, and then stuff the ice cream into it. It'll hold the shape better. 
{ green tea flavored. I like the little indentation on the top }


ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment