Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Souper Trooper

I came home yesterday to a flatmate with the flu and this morning I woke with chills and a fever. I'm sick, too.

Yuck.


And being that I don't really have much of an appetite for anything else, I made soup. 



Zuppa Toscana - 
(adapted from this recipe, feeds about 4)

Ingredients

1/2 lb ground Italian sausage (I used turkey)
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 large white onion, diced
1 cup kale, roughly chopped
8 oz chicken broth
1/2 quart water1/2 cup heavy cream
1 large Russet baking potato, cut into 1/2" cubes
Salt (to taste)

Instructions
  1. Cut raw sausage into small bite-size pieces and brown them in a large soup pot. Remove from pot and set aside.
  2. On low heat, add to pot garlic, onions, and crushed pepper. When onions become soft, add broth and water and bring to a light boil. 
  3. Add the potatoes and cook on low-medium heat until they become tender. Add cream and salt.
  4. Then, stir in sausage and kale. Let simmer for 10 minutes.


Anyway, I'm going to keep this post short and sweet. I'm tired and I have a hot bowl of soup waiting for me. And sorry for the crappy photo. I had to use my phone because I couldn't find my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment